Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Conte Beautiful Conte


Hello Readers! It's been a while since I've written my last blog. However, we will continue with our talk about the Conte Crayon.

The conte crayon is one of my favorite mediums to use in art. It comes in these little square sticks, and almost has the consistency of charcoal, but it makes somewhat less of a mess than charcoal does. And it has beautiful color. My preferred color of conte crayon is actually a burnt sienna. 

Another positive attribute of conte is that it can be used with a variety of mediums. Not only can you use conte and all kinds of charcoal together in the same piece and it will work beautifully, but conte is also compatible with stubborn graphite. I say "stubborn" only because graphite and charcoal do not get along well at all. Ever try to use charcoal on a glassy surface? No matter how hard hard you press or how softly you try to tease the charcoal onto that surface, your efforts will be virtually useless. You may end up breaking the glass, but it will still remain relatively mark free. Well, this little analogy tells you exactly how charcoal reacts to graphite. The graphite just kind of sticks to the page and creates this glassy, stubborn surface that refuses to be marked by any kind of charcoal.

Last week I made a piece with sienna conte, white conte, and compressed charcoal, and it turned out just beautiful. Gorgeous. Not because I made it (no, I'm not that egotistical), but because the media just went so well together. It turned out to be an incredibly pleasing piece to look at, and I'm planning on using these three media together on a future piece. Perhaps in a future post I'll actually include pictures of my pieces for you all to admire. Or criticize, whichever you feel more comfortable doing!

Well, today I'm a bit short on time, so I'll end my post here! Thanks so much for reading! And next post won't be about something as boring as media to use in art... 


Image found here: http://www.theartshop.com.au/category20_1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment