Saturday, October 24, 2009

Perfectionism


Today I've been doing some more work in my sketchbook. I like how it's turned out so far, and I'm excited to see what it will look like at the end of the semester! When I first began drawing, I didn't realize how much technique is involved in art. I also didn't know that there are actually six parts of light instead of only three. I also didn't know that it was possible to measure out an exact angle with only a pencil and an outstretched arm.

Since I had always nurtured the whimsical, imaginative side of my artistry, it was hard for me to start applying all of these technical methods to my art. For example, learning how to make a 50% gray tone and how to match tones when you're dealing with different colors. It's true that creating art requires a skilled hand, but it also requires an even more critical eye. I find myself having to pay attention to little things that usually go unnoticed, like the
reflected light that is found in a shadow, or the minute differences in shade and texture that can be found in a still life.

I find that I also have to be very critical in my way of looking at what I am drawing as a whole. For example, someone who is very adept at drawing doesn't always create good works of art because they may be lacking in composition. Composition is something that I've struggled with as well. Sometimes where you decide to place a certain object in your drawing can make or break the entire piece. Even the smallest shift in the placement of object on your page could change the look of your drawing.

I guess it's a good thing that when it comes to my art, I'm a perfectionist!


Image found here: http://opinionsandexpressions.wordpress.com/2009/05/24/mein-apni-favorite-hoon/

No comments:

Post a Comment